Categories: World

FM Dar says Pakistan ready to join Gaza peace force, ‘not ready’ to disarm Palestinian resistance group Hamas – Pakistan



Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Saturday said Pakistan was ready to commit its troops to the Gaza peace force, but distanced the country from any role in disarming the Palestinian resistance group Hamas.

A cornerstone of the United States-brokered Gaza Peace Agreement is the establishment of the International Stabilisation Force (ISF), composed mainly of troops from Muslim-majority countries. According to officials close to the discussions, an announcement is expected soon from the federal government regarding the decision.

Officials familiar with the deliberations, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, said discussions within the government and military establishment were at an “advanced stage”. According to them, the tone of internal consultations suggests that Islamabad is inclined to take part in the mission.

Last week, the UN Security Council (UNSC) adopted a US-drafted resolution endorsing President Donald Trump’s plan to end the conflict in Gaza. The plan also authorises the ISF for the Palestinian enclave. Thirteen UNSC members, including Pakistan, voted in favour of the resolution, while Russia and China abstained. However, Hamas rejected the resolution and also decried the establishment of an international force whose “mission includes the disarmament” of Palestinian resistance groups in Gaza.

The foreign minister said the matter of Hamas’ disarmament first came up during a meeting in Riyadh on the two-state solution. The foreign minister was speaking at a press conference held today at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“We are not ready for that. This is not our job, but of the Palestinian law enforcement agencies. Our job is peacekeeping, not peace enforcement. We are definitely ready to contribute to the force — the prime minister has in principle already announced after consultation with the field marshal that we will contribute — but this decision can not be taken until it is decided what its [ISF] mandate and TOR (terms of reference) will be.”

“As per my information, if it will include disarming Hamas, then even my Indonesian counterpart has informally expressed his reservation.”

Dar said he was present at the initial talks when the matter of the force was raised, adding that Indonesia had offered 20,000 troops and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had also signalled “in principle” that Pakistan would positively consider its participation.

The matter of any supposed role of Pakistan in disarming Hamas had elicited anger from Defence Minister Khawaja Asif last month,** who had rubbished and strongly condemned contentious remarks by government spokesperson Danyal Chaudhry that the force’s mandate would include disarmament of Hamas.

Talking about the ISF, Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad had said at the UNSC vote that it could be stabilising only if it operated under a clear UN-consistent mandate. Disarmament, he had said, must be carried out through a negotiated political process under a unified Palestinian National Authority.

The text of the resolution says member states can take part in the Board of Peace, envisioned as a transitional authority that would oversee the reconstruction and economic recovery of Gaza.

It also authorises the ISF, which would ensure a process of demilitarising Gaza, including by decommissioning weapons and destroying military infrastructure.

Trump’s 20-point plan is included as an annexe to the resolution.

The Gaza Strip has been largely reduced to rubble after two years of Israel’s onslaught, sparked by Hamas’s attack on Israel on Oct 7, 2023.

The resolution’s text also says that “conditions may finally be in place for a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood” once the Palestinian Authority has carried out a reform programme and Gaza’s redevelopment has advanced.

That eventuality has already been firmly rejected by Israel.

The foreign minister also talked at length about the issues with Afghanistan.

On reprisals by Pakistan amid the recent tensions with Afghanistan and terrorist incidents involving Afghan nationals, Dar said it was a mistake of the Taliban authorities to believe that Pakistan could not sort out the situation itself, saying the country had kinetic capabilities, but it would not be a “desirable” course of action to invade a brotherly country and wipe out problematic elements.

“The situation was possibly leading to that stage when this issue began. Qatar is a country whose foreign ministry was contacting me hourly at that time,” he said, adding that the Qatari prime and foreign minister was in touch with him “every hour”.

“They found out that we were about to take kinetic action. They requested that ‘please stop your side and we will do mediation and take responsibility and get the issue resolved.’”

FM Dar said he was grateful to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the army chief for accepting his stance and “the cleanup operation that was about to happen that night — that would have surely taught them a lesson — was stopped”.

Despite that, he said nothing was gained from the negotiations mediated by Qatar and Turkiye. Dar said the mediators were themselves frustrated by the lack of progress in the talks.

He urged Kabul’s authorities that “dialogue and diplomacy” were the only way to solve current issues and called on the Afghan Taliban regime to reflect on its weaknesses and faults.

Referring to the shooting of two US National Guards by an Afghan national and attacks of Chinese workers in Tajikistan from Afghanistan, Dar warned that “the time is not far when Muslims and non-Muslims will unite to eliminate this terrorism.”

He said it was better for regional players to purge the area of terrorism before such a moment arrived.

The foreign minister said there was a 50-50 divide in the Taliban ranks between the peacemakers and the warmongers.

He also said that he was working to restore delivery of relief goods, food and essential humanitarian aid “for the sake of the Afghan people” on the request of the United Nations, adding that he had secured the army chief’s nod and only PM Shehbaz’s was needed now.

Talking about the current visit of a seven-member European Union delegation as part of the fifth Biennial Review of the GSP+ scheme and Pakistan’s progress so far, FM Dar said: “Nearly all of our matters have been satisfactorily handled; around six items are pending, of which three legislative actions it is hoped will be completed in the recent Parliament and Senate sessions.”

Dar said he had told EU officials in Brussels that its review group would “give a very positive report” upon their return from Pakistan.

The deputy PM expressed hope that the review would be successful.

On the visa situation for Pakistanis looking to travel to the United Arab Emirates and other Gulf states, FM Dar said: “We are not sleeping. This issue has been raised many times. They’ve also shown their internal evidence that of the different nationalities involved in crime in the UAE, Pakistanis are at the top, unfortunately.”

The foreign minister said the issue had reached such an extent at a certain point that even the visas of officials and ministers were refused.”

He said he had sent the reports of mass offloading of passengers to Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi and would pursue the issue with him. However, seemingly justifying the action, he said it was not occurring “without reason”.

The foreign minister pointed to the issue of the begging racket, including in Saudi Arabia, that involved Pakistanis.

“Pakistanis are caught the most in beggary there, unfortunately.”

He said issues would not be resolved until the above matters were tackled and eliminated.



Source link

admin

Share
Published by
admin

Recent Posts

What’s on your desk, Sarah Smithers?

As senior editorial coordinator, Sarah Smithers wears a lot of hats here at The Verge.…

6 minutes ago

‘Many people want to leave’: Ex-AAP MLA joins BJP; gets emotional as he targets Kejriwal — watch | India News

Delhi BJP president Virendra Sachdeva shakes welcomes former Aam Aadmi Party MLA Rajesh Gupta to…

8 minutes ago

FIBA World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers: India looks to buck the trend with a first-ever win against Saudi Arabia

The Indian men’s basketball team will look to avoid a third straight competitive defeat against…

22 minutes ago

Secure Parking eyes 6,000 sites amid rising urban mobility demand

 Secure Parking, which is into parking management, is eyeing 20-fold growth in India in a…

24 minutes ago

Nationalism is ‘not an issue in India’, says RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat

RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat addresses a book festival, in Nagpur, on November 29, 2025. |…

26 minutes ago

SIR issue to be brought up in Lok Sabha winter session: VCK chief

Vidhuthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi president Thol. Thirumavalavan. | Photo Credit: R. ASHOK The Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi…

32 minutes ago