Categories: Sports

Philippines ministers resign as flood scandal reaches presidential palace | Corruption News


Ministers implicated in scandal involving misused and stolen funds earmarked for anti-flooding infrastructure.

Two ministers in Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr’s cabinet resigned on Tuesday after being implicated in an ongoing investigation into “ghost” infrastructure and billions of dollars of missing government funds, deepening a crisis facing the country’s government over the corruption scandal.

Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin and Department of Budget and Management Secretary Amenah Pangandaman have both stepped down from their posts, presidential palace press officer Claire Castro said on Tuesday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Castro said the pair chose to resign “after their departments were mentioned in allegations related to the flood control anomaly” and “in recognition of the responsibility to allow the administration to address the matter appropriately,” according to The Philippines Inquirer newspaper.

Bersamin and Pangandaman are the highest-ranking members of the Marcos government to be hit directly by the corruption scandal since it broke in July, according to Aries Arugay, an expert in Philippines politics and a visiting senior fellow at Singapore’s ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.

Marcos himself has managed to stay above the fray – for now – although Arugay said that could change at any time.

“At the moment, the palace is trying to take the president out of this, and this is why you have the ‘resignations’ of the executive secretary, the budget secretary. They’re the ones accepting command responsibility over this,” he told Al Jazeera.

Arugay said Marcos Jr still has a “comfortable” majority in the legislature because many MPs still prefer him to leadership under Vice President Sara Duterte, but “all bets are off” should more evidence emerge.

Earlier this week, politician Zaldy Co – who is currently not in the Philippines – alleged that Marcos directed him to add $1.7bn to the budget for “dubious public works” while he headed an appropriations committee, according to The South China Morning Post, although the claims have not been verified.

Co was among the first group of officials to be charged this week for their role in the corruption scandal following a months-long investigation, according to The Philippines Inquirer.

The scandal has engulfed the Philippines since Marcos Jr revealed in a speech to Congress earlier this year that billions of dollars of public funds for anti-flooding infrastructure had been siphoned off by private contractors to build substandard infrastructure – and in some cases, none at all.

The Philippines is regularly hit by typhoons and other tropical storms, and flooding remains a perennial and often deadly problem.

The corruption scandal has set off mass protests across the Philippines, including a demonstration on Sunday that drew 500,000 people to Manila.



Source link

admin

Recent Posts

Fire breaks out at Baby Memorial hospital in Kerala’s Kozhikode

Several patients were safely evacuated on time following a fire outbreak at Baby Memorial hospital…

7 minutes ago

Trump moves to void Biden-era orders signed using autopen – World

US President Donald Trump has announced that he is terminating all executive actions, proclamations, and…

9 minutes ago

Karnataka power tussle: Breakthrough? Siddaramaiah, DKS meet over breakfast as CM battle heats up | India News

Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah meets his deputy DKS amid crisis rumours. NEW DELHI: Karnataka deputy CM…

20 minutes ago

Gujarat Giants WPL 2026 match list: Complete schedule, venues, timings announced

Gujarat Giants will kick off its WPL 2026 campaign against UP Warriorz at the D.Y.…

28 minutes ago

Royal Challengers Bengaluru WPL 2026 match list: Complete schedule, venues, timings announced

Smriti Mandhana-led Royal Challengers Bengaluru will kick off its WPL 2026 campaign against Mumbai Indians…

32 minutes ago

Belarus’s Lukashenko becomes second only leader to visit Myanmar since coup | Elections News

Alexander Lukashenko’s visit comes shortly before military government holds national polls widely condemned as a…

40 minutes ago