Categories: Science

Tesla asks court to toss wrongful death verdict that cost it $243 million


Earlier this month, a jury found Tesla partially responsible for the death of 22-year-old Naibel Benavides, who was killed by a Model S driver who plowed into her and her boyfriend Dillon Angulo. Tesla was ordered to pay the families of the victims $243 million in compensatory and punitive damages, a stunning outcome for a company that has managed to avoid taking responsibility for crashes involving its partially autonomous software.

In the filing, Tesla’s legal team said the Model S driver bore all the responsibility for the crash. And they are requesting the court invalidate the verdict, or at least order a new jury trial.

“The $243 million judgment against Tesla flies in the face of basic Florida tort law, the Due Process Clause, and common sense,” the company’s lawyers write, noting that McGee had pressed the accelerator to override Autopilot in the seconds before the crash. “Auto manufacturers do not insure the world against harms caused by reckless drivers.”

The lawyers also claim that the plaintiffs should not have been allowed to enter into evidence statements from Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who has long claimed that the company’s vehicles are capable of higher levels of autonomy than they actually are. And they called claims about data coverup on the part of Tesla — the company was accused of withholding camera data from police investigating the crash — were false and “inflamed” the jury against the company.

The motion was filed by attorneys from Gibson Dunn, a firm that represented Tesla in a lawsuit against a former employee and a tech startup accused of stealing trade secrets for a robotic hand.

This embedded content failed to load.



Source link

admin

Share
Published by
admin

Recent Posts

China’s Baidu starts layoffs after reporting third-quarter loss, say sources

The layoff numbers varied by business unit and performance ratings and could reach as high…

1 minute ago

Zelensky removes top aide after anti-graft raids – World

ANDRIY Yermak, the head of Ukraine’s presidential office.—AFP KYIV: Ukrainian Pre­sident Volodymyr Zelensky on Friday…

4 minutes ago

‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’: India flies 12 tonnes of aid to flood-hit Sri Lanka; island battered by Cyclone Ditwah | India News

India flies C-130 J plane carrying approx 12 tons of humanitarian aid to cylcone-hit Sri…

15 minutes ago

Five of a family killed in road accident in Kurnool

Five persons of a family, including two children, were killed in a road accident near…

31 minutes ago

Kerala local body polls: In Kozhikode Corporation, UDF plots a comeback in LDF bastion of half a century

A high-stakes electoral combat is brewing in the Kozhikode Corporation for the civic body elections…

38 minutes ago

Scholar says US unilateralism opens doors for new economic order – World

ISLAMABAD: A research scholar at the SOAS University of London has suggested dismantling of the…

39 minutes ago