Categories: Sports

US Open: Jannik Sinner demolishes Alexander Bublik, advances to quarters | Tennis News


The world tennis No 1 beat Bublik in the round of 16, losing just three games and reversing a shock loss to the Kazakh in June.

Defending champion Jannik Sinner said he enjoyed the vibe of playing under the Arthur Ashe Stadium lights after he continued his hardcourt Grand Slam run by hammering 23rd seed Alexander Bublik to make the US Open quarterfinals.

The Italian tennis player came into the match on Labour Day, seeking his 25th straight major match win on his preferred surface, and never looked in danger against a tricky rival, bolting out of the blocks to win 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 on his night session debut this year.

“It’s always special to go on Ashe to play,” Sinner said after the match on Monday.

“Night matches, they’re a bit different because there’s a bit more attention, I feel. It’s a different vibe, also, around the court. It’s very loud. It’s also different to play.

“It was the first time for me this year. It was nice. You have the good and the bad if you play in the evening. It’s very special, and you feel very privileged to step onto court in the night on the biggest court we have.”

A mere 81 minutes after the clash began, Sinner was back in the locker room after gaining revenge for a shock defeat by Bublik on June 20, in the Halle Open final – his only loss to a player not named Carlos Alcaraz this year.

“We know each other well. We’ve had some tough battles this year, so we know each other a bit better,” the top-seeded Sinner said.

“He had a tough match last time [against Tommy Paul], finishing late. He didn’t serve as well as he does. I broke him in every set, and it gave me the confidence to play well.”

A double break helped Sinner build a 4-0 lead before Bublik could even get on the board, and the dominant 24-year-old chased down a drop shot to fire home a deep backhand winner that wrapped up the opening set with another break.

Bublik’s attempts to disrupt Sinner’s rhythm with more drop shots proved futile, but it was his service errors that left him trailing by two sets, before Sinner wheeled away to his eighth straight grand slam quarterfinal.

Up next is a meeting with compatriot Lorenzo Musetti. Sinner said it would be a great occasion for Italian tennis.

“It’s great to see. Italian tennis is in great form. We have so many players and different game styles,” he said.

“Lorenzo is one of the biggest talents we have in our sport. I’m looking forward to this one. From an Italian point of view, it’s great to have for sure one Italian player in the semis.

“I know that there are a lot of Italian players in the crowd. It makes everything special.”

Sinner, right, after beating Bublik in the fourth round of the US Open [Robert Deutsch/Imagn Images via Reuters]



Source link

admin

Share
Published by
admin

Recent Posts

Five of a family killed in road accident in Kurnool

Five persons of a family, including two children, were killed in a road accident near…

12 minutes ago

Kerala local body polls: In Kozhikode Corporation, UDF plots a comeback in LDF bastion of half a century

A high-stakes electoral combat is brewing in the Kozhikode Corporation for the civic body elections…

19 minutes ago

Scholar says US unilateralism opens doors for new economic order – World

ISLAMABAD: A research scholar at the SOAS University of London has suggested dismantling of the…

20 minutes ago

Over 350 planes hit: Airbus A320 software snag set to cause major flight disruptions — 10 things to know | India News

Airbus A320 (Picture from Airbus official website) NEW DELHI: Air travel in India and around…

31 minutes ago

Why Microsoft’s AI is being criticised | Explained

The story so far: On November 10, the President for Microsoft’s Windows + Devices (W+D)…

47 minutes ago

US pauses visas for all Afghan passport holders, halts asylum requests | Donald Trump News

Pause on visas and halting of asylum applications comes after shooting of two National Guard…

51 minutes ago